Just about the most honest advise you will ever get.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Patience...well you know!

I bid a job back in January of 2010 for a developer I do work for from time to time.  I have revised the proposal at least three times and thought it would never come to fruition.  The job consist of a small amount of demo, custom millwork and all new furniture and accessories for an apartment building clubhouse and business center in New Hampshire.

Well, here we are, a year later and the job has finally been approved and needs to be completed PRONTO!!!  I am so happy that I stuck it out, because so many times when that phone would ring, or that email would come in, I thought, here we go again, more changes with no end in sight, and no money.

You see, I have bid many a job for this developer, and I am up against some very well known and respected Design firms/Staging Companies across the country.  I can't always bid where they want me to because I am one person with a Part-time installer who helps me.  Those of you who know me, know that this very trusted bull of a man is my loving Brother in Law Len.

Well, needless to say, Lenny and I went to New Hampshire.  The craziness started the day before, with me getting a truck that was too small to fit all the furniture and accessories I had stored in my warehouse (garage) and having my wonderful husband say, I knew it was too small, you do it every time...what was it that Ralph on the Honeymooners used to say.."the moon Alice..."  Anyway,  as punishment he was forced to meet Len at the Uhaul place and trade trucks...which meant transferring everything that we already packed (about 15 huge baxes-70lbs each) to the other truck. 

In hopes that my 2 rather large pieces of glass for table tops would not break. we set out the next morning at 6:30 a.m. for N.H.  Lenny driving the truck, me driving my Volvo full of accessories.  We made it with no speeding ticket and no major breakages.  We worked tirelessly all day only stopping for bathroom breaks and lunch and finally completed the job at 11:30 at night.  We then hit every single garbage dumpster on the property to rid ourselves of a truck load of cardboard before hitting the road at midnight.  We did it and were slightly fired up at how well it went. 

All in all, this is truly my favorite part of the job.  The install.  The true challenge of it all is working with existing situations that may not be ideal...in this case we had to keep the existing flooring (ugly carpet in both rooms) and only the Clubhouse and Business Center were done, not the corridors that lead to it.  The client was happy, NY developer happy=Me very happy and paid finally!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment