Just about the most honest advise you will ever get.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cleanliness is next to Godliness

I have clearly been procrastinating...actually, I couldn't decide what to write about next!  I had so many ideas and started writing a few and scrapped them.  Then I woke up this morning and could only think about getting my shit together and really getting organized, and then it came to me...Organization and order.

So, needless to say, I spent all morning getting organized, and really this is not a difficult task for me, I love when things are neat and tidy and put in their place.  It gives me a sense of  calm.  Its the strangest thing that something as simple as having all your ducks in a row can really bring peace and harmony.  It is such a stressful thing to know you have ten different piles of things to do and no time or energy to sort through them.

Everyone has a baseline for what is and what isn't orderly.  My baseline tends to be pretty neat and clean.  I like that fact that at any time, I am ready to entertain.  A quick wipe down of any surface and few chips and wine (always wine) and I am ready.  For the most part I can thank my parents for this.

My father was military all the way...all his drawers were color coded, he had an entire tallboy dedicated to socks.  Yellow ones, brown, green, navy blue, light blue, black and oh yes, white ones too, they all had their own drawers.  You see, this is the foundation, he was a little OCD with it, but taught us well.  My mother is very stereo-typical British,  and would basically walk around with a white glove.  If things were not perfection, then she would freak out and you'd have to start all over, meaning she'd rip the room apart!

It all worked out in the end.  I took with me, an ability to be highly organized and achieve a sense of harmony in my home and workplace.  I think, that if nothing else, we all need a little peace and harmony in our lives and this can so easily be accomplished by simply arranging the things around you in an orderly and consistent fashion. 

Yes, you can clean and it feels good for that day.  The kids come home or you husband, and things get thrown off.  The BIG idea is to keep up with it and have a "place" for everything.   It all needs a permanent home.  This is not to say that you can't have a junk drawer, but really try to keep it a little organized, so its not a disaster to go into.  The whole idea is to make your life easier and to know where things are when you need them.

When organizing a linen closet for instance, I like to have all my bath towels on one shelf.  I like them all to be folded the same way  and have them all stacked with their folds going the same way, so it looks like a nice neat pile.  I keep all my wash clothes and hand towels stacked on another shelf and so on and so forth.  It so much nicer to open that closet and see it orderly than to have things falling on me as I open the door. 

I have a few friends, you know who you are, who are absolute slobs!  I have no idea how they get anything accomplished being so disorganized.  I hope this will inspire you to get rid of a pile or tackle a closet and try to bring a little peace and harmony into your home or office.  Good Luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment